Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Let's Get Primitive - The Urban Girl's Guide to Camping" by Heather Menicucci





For the past few weeks, I've been enjoying this gem of a book. Written by "a writer and filmmaker turned outdoor aficionado", it is described as "the definitive camping manual for urban gals who appreciate sidewalks and all-night sushi bars ... an invitation to embrace your inner mountain mama and follow the call of the wild."

Gloriously fun reading material; yet incredibly useful tips and wisdom for a city girl taking the first tentative steps outdoors. I find that I have modified my equipment list, increased my enjoyment of camping with awareness of different viewpoints, and gained even more confidence. And, uh, bought a string of tiny Christmas lights to glam up my tent. She has a section on "Glamping", i.e. "Glam + Camping". The icing on the cake is that she writes in an energetic, funny, and totally positive style.

If she can do it -- I can do it. And if I can do it -- you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment