Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Greatest Invention Ever !!!

The FUD ("Female Urinary Device"). I just call it "the girl pee-thing"

A masterful solution to one of women's key questions about hiking, biking, and camping:  "Where and How do I pee???"

It's been many years since I've spent much time in the woods. A lot has changed. Not just technology, but cultural norms. I must've been a bit of a rebel all those years mountain biking with the guys, but I had no issue with going off trail, dropping my shorts, and doing what I needed to do. Which just about horrified all my non-mountain biking friends.

But at night, camping, in a tent, colder temps -- having to get out of the tent, find privacy, undress a bit, and squat over who-knows-what becomes not. fun. At all.

In fact, my very first grand adventure in the woods, back in my 20s, was backpacking a portion of the Appalachian trail with an all-woman's group. I'm sure it was an incredible experience. But I only have two memories etched in my brain:
1) sitting around the campfire way into the night, talking, and drinking tea
2) waking in the middle of the night, having to pee. But the weather has turned bad for September and it had snowed. Once I got out of my tent, I got so cold and couldn't get any body heat going again. I shivered in my tent for the rest of the night. All I can remember is how cold I was. All because I had to pee.

Times, and technology, have changed. Now there is the Freshette! Glory be - I can pee anywhere, anytime - standing, squatting, kneeling. It is revolutionizing my whole outdoor experience. You just tuck it into place, hold on, point, and shoot.

Okay, I do have to admit that there is something just *wrong* about the whole design, though. It is really disconcerting holding a peen-type contraption with your hands. But I'm certainly enjoying aiming!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment