Saturday, February 5, 2011

Another Orienteering Outing

December, 2010

I may not have the opportunity to sleep outdoors, but I'm still playing outdoors in the daytime.

Another orienteering event fits into my schedule. This one is at Great Falls, but on the Maryland side - the C&O Canal Historical Park. I take my bike with me too, intending to do a short bike ride on the canal since I'm driving that far to get there.

The day is gray, windy, and cold. It's one of those days where being outside is just-not-fun. I opt for sticking to the beginner course. Even so, I also stick to a route on the trails, rarely going off-trail even if it looks shorter. I don't want to take the risk of getting injured because my technique is off due to off-energy level. I'm getting in better shape, and my hiking speed is picking up though. So I finish in a decent time even with using the trails. But I don't feel beat up, which is good.



It's pretty windy, still gray and cold. I decide not to go for a bike ride and head home instead. Even though I spend more time driving back & forth than actually doing something.


I start thinking about my "sleeping outdoors" challenge. It is now becoming a proper challenge, but not for the reason I thought. I expected it o be difficult because it would be cold at night. But I've got my sleeping arrangements under control to stay warm through the night. The difficulty will be the daytime; it's becoming just too cold to stay outdoors all day. And the other challenge is the short days: I don't have the time or I'm too bored to stay in a tent for 14 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment