Saturday, February 5, 2011

Scenic Site on the Elk River / Camping #7

November, 2010

This will be my 6th consecutive camping outing; and 6th out of 8 weeks. I'm enjoying the challenge of sleeping outdoors as the weather gets cooler. But more importantly, I'm enjoying the effects that being out in nature is having on me. I'm more relaxed. Life is more peaceful and serene. I feel good being physically active throughout the day. And I like the confidence I'm gaining from being self-sufficient, even if it's as simple as cooking a meal over a campfire while I'm shivering.

I was fortunate to an opportunity for a three-day week-end. By now, campgrounds were starting to close for the season. The ones that were open, were only open on week-ends. I couldn't reserve a site; all were walk-in, first-come, first-served.

I've never heard of Elk Neck SP being described as a prime camping spot. From what I've experienced so far, it can be noisy and crowded. But certain sites provide stunningly beautiful views. I strategized that if I arrived early enough on a Friday, maybe I could score a really good site. And that's how it worked out! I got the site I wanted.

It's not a huge site, but it does offer privacy from adjacent campsites. The best feature is that it offers a panoramic view of the river. So, while at my tent site, turning my head side-to-side, all I see are trees covered with golden foliage, the sparkling blue river below, the cloudless blue sky, and off in the distance the landscape of the western and upper edge of the Eastern Shore -- capped off with two mornings of sun rise. I can just imagine our ancestors and the native Americans sitting in this very same spot, relaxing in the view, and wondering what's on the other side of the river.













No comments:

Post a Comment