Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Great Adventure! Dept of Natural Resources: Becoming An Outdoors Woman

October 21-24, 2010


On my first camping adventure, back in April, at Greenridge State Forest, the rangers had told me about this program: "Becoming An Outdoors Woman". I'm not sure if they told me about me because I had passed some test by actually surviving camping those two short days when it was clear I had no idea what I was doing; or, if they thought I'd better go get some training. Maybe both reasons.


So I signed up way-back-when. But ... the program is held in Garrett County, south of Deep Creek Lake. Like on the other side of the mountains.


All summer I debated whether I was going or not -- simply because of my fear of heights and the mountain driving. I got more & more nervous, but then also afraid that my fear of heights and mountain driving would just stop me from doing fun things. I had to face my fears and do it.


So I did all kinds of research on mountain driving and phobias, and for weeks, I mentally prepared myself. Or tried to. And I went and did it! Whew!


The program was phenomenal! There are all kinds of outdoor adventure courses you can take, ranging from sports to hunting to survival to cooking. They are geared from beginner level to advanced. All of the instructors are experts, personable, and approachable. Many of the participants have attended several times, so classes are becoming more advanced as we all learn more stuff. And the women who attended are adventurous, have interesting jobs, have traveled to so many places -- it was a great joy to socialize with so many fascinating people!


Camp Area:







No comments:

Post a Comment