Thursday, October 28, 2010

DNR: "Becoming An Outdoors Woman" / Map & Compass

My first course at DNR's "BOW" program was "Map & Compass". I've had a few short (like 1/2 hour) training sessions on using a compass, but I just didn't "get" it.


This course was a half-day. We learned all the details around a topographic map. I was kinda comfortable reading a topo map, enough to get myself out of trouble. But now I know more. We spent a lot of time learning how to properly use a compass. And now I get it! I need to keep using the skills so that I don't forget how to do it.


We concluded the class with a really fun game in a field where we were given compass readings that we had to follow and take notes of where we ended up. I did the route correctly! and quickly. So I did another one. It was a ton of fun!


The instructor told us that if enjoyed the game, we should try orienteering. Yikes, another fun thing to get myself into! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment