Thursday, October 28, 2010

DNR: "Becoming An Outdoors Woman" / Reading the Woods

Just by coincidence, this was the last session of my stay. And it pretty much summed up and used all the other courses I had taken.


We spend the half-day in the woods, observing different things - plants, animal trails & habitat, invasive species, the effects of human behavior -- and talking about its purpose and how it got there and what it indicated about what was goingon.


The session started out with a fun game that highlighted my *dismal* powers of observation. We didn't know it, but on the first part of our trek, our instructor had placed pipecleaners. Colorful ones. And they weren't hidden. They were in plain view. The first time down the path, one person found one. No one else noticed any.  :(


The instructor told us about the game, and we headed back the way we came. With the goal of this time actually finding the pipecleaners. I think I saw 6.


Regrouping, the instructor told us there was more than 10. And taught us how to observe better. This time through the path, I found 13. I think overall, there was 16. Fun & enlightening game.

No comments:

Post a Comment