Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Exploring New Hikes; and the Super Moon!

March, 2011

Every camping experience is a learning experience. On this trip, I learned that sound travels. Without any greenery buffer between sites, you can hear every zip of the tent, every word, from the campers next to you...

"Winter" is over -- there were a lot more campers. But on Friday, the night temps fell below freezing; judging by the activity during the night, other folks weren't quite prepared - I heard several trips out to cars to get warmer clothes or extra bedding. Saturday morning was pretty chilly; again, it was tough to get started, move around, and prepare coffee and breakfast.

This outing was also planned last fall. I thought I had selected a primo site that would give me a great view of the sunrise and have some privacy from others. But I had selected wrong. Oh well. It was still very pretty.


The weather was noticeably warmer during the day and I enjoyed being outdoors. On both Saturday and Sunday (beautiful late-winter days), I drove over to the Fair Hills area and explored several hiking trails there. The trails were fairly well-marked and not overly strenuous; I felt comfortable being out there by myself.


Hiking At Fair Hills:






I try to plan my camping trips on week-ends with a full moon, so I can more fully enjoy them. This week-end was actually a "super moon". It rose as a bright orange ball, and hung low in the sky for awhile. Everyone at the campground was enjoying the view.
Sunday was warmer with brilliant sunshine and calm winds. Since I intended to hike, I had to pack up. But I just wanted to linger! I find Elk Neck perfect for outdoor R&R. I did take time to hang my tent to air out; wipe it down; and clean my stakes. A nice day to spend time on camping chores.

Touches of Spring:

No comments:

Post a Comment