Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Explore Little Bennett; Scope Out Orienteering Course

March, 2011

I ventured out to western suburbs, close to D.C., to try out a regional Maryland park that offered camping. And an Orienteering event was being held there. Also, this park had several permanent orienteering courses. I could do one or two for fun on my own, as well as scope out leading an event for one of the outdoors group I belong to.

Even though the campground is hardly a mile or two from civilization (some nicely upscale housing developments!), when I arrived I was the only camper. I felt very alone and secluded. I was actually a bit apprehensive. I set up camp, intending to enjoy the seclusion and quiet; but after a few hours, others started arriving.




The sites are somewhat close together. There's very little privacy since it's still late winter / early spring and there's little greenery yet.

Over the course of the week-end

  • all the sites that were open at that time of year were full
  • a group next to me decided to blast music until 10:20pm (yes, I know the exact time they turned it off ...) - country, blues, rock
  • campers included a large group of Scouts. But sometime after dark, they quietly packed up and left -- there was no one around when I woke in the morning. I didn't even hear them leave; although the music was so loud maybe that's why I didn't hear anything else.
Other Noise (yikes!)
At some point in the middle of the night, I heard a noise like wood hitting wood: "Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack!", then a "Yowl!" I have no idea what that was ...


Saturday
I thoroughly enjoyed exploring this park. I did the easiest Orienteering course installed there. I found the map and cues easy to understand. The trails were well-marked and gentle.

Later that day, I did some additional hiking on the trails around the campground. Lovely, gentle evening hiking!

Sunday
Even though winter is ending, it's still chilly. Night temps may have fallen into the upper 20s; I had snow or frost on my tent. As usual, it was slow-going dismantling and packing up in time to head out to do an Orienteering event.

It's Still "Winter":



Brilliant Sunshine:

No comments:

Post a Comment