Sunday, January 23, 2011

Musing on Noise, #2: People

At BOW, I took a course called "Reading the Woods", where you observe everything around you in a particular spot to assess what is going on or what has happened. It carries over to human behavior as well.

From just a few nights out camping solo in the woods, I have assessed that if you hear -- at 2:00am -- faint, muffled human shouts, it means either:
1) They are drunk
or
2) There is a problem
or
3) They are drunk and they have caused a problem.
(For an example, you can read my post about the idiots who knocked over their lit lantern, and set their tent on fire.)


I have modified my campsite/sleeping behavior to adjust for that. For instance, the easy-out end of my tent now faces my car, so I can make a quick dash if I need to.

And in my tent, in order of closest accessibility, are:
-- my glasses
-- car keys
-- whistle
-- headlamp & flashlight
-- cellphone

No comments:

Post a Comment